28 July 2022 | 10:00 AM - 10 August 2022 | 10:00 AM
#BreakTheBias Photo and Video Competition
#BreakTheBias to achieve Gender Equality for a Sustainable Future.
UN entities involved in this initiativeFAO, IFAD, ILO, IOM, OHCHR, UN Women, UNAIDS, UNDP, UNEP, UNFPA, UNHCR, UNICEF, UNIDO, UNODC, WFP, WHO
Sustainable Development Goals
About the initiative
#BreakTheBias Photo and Video Competition
Start date: 28 July 2022
End date: 15 August 2022
Location: South Africa
Terms and conditions
1. UN in South Africa Photo/Video Competition “#BreakTheBias” 2022
- By entering the UN in South Africa photo/video Competition (the “Competition”), you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete. You are responsible for keeping such information up-to-date. The UN in South Africa (the “Organizer”) reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all participants.
- By entering the competition, you accept the present terms and conditions.
- No payment of any kind is required to enter or win the competition.
- The competition will be administered by the organizer through the competition’s website as well as social media pages; please follow the instructions under UN in South Africa Photo/Video Competition, here: https://southafrica.un.org/en/node/190781/latest
- By entering the competition, you pledge that the work submitted is your own.
2. Terms and Conditions of participation
The photographs should depict the respective theme #BreakTheBias”, using a high degree of attention to clarity, creativity, and originality. By submitting an entry to the photo and video competition, the photographer/videographer will agree to these rules:
- South Africa Nationals and Residents, both men and women, aged 18 - 25 are eligible to apply. Women photographers and videographers are highly encouraged to apply.
- Entrants can submit up to 5 photo entries
- Each entry does not contain any infringing, threatening, false, misleading, abusive, harassing, libelous-, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, scandalous content
- The entrant must hold all rights to the photograph submitted and they must bear full responsibility for obtaining the consent of children and adults featured in the images
- The entrant bears full responsibility for the accuracy of the entry’s content – photo and the accompanying caption/story
- Caption/story must be written by the entrants, and should be real, not fiction, and not be any form of copy/reproduction
- The UN in South Africa will have the full right to publish an album and use entries for non-commercial products, with mention of the photo credit
- UN in South Africa retains full ownership of the copyright in each entry
3. How to enter
In order to enter, the entrant needs to express their view of what a gender equal world looks like.
Step 1: Capture your depiction of what a gender equal world looks like on a cellular device as a video or photograph
Step 2: Post the content onto your social media platforms (Instagram, Twitter or Facebook)
Step 3: Be sure to tag @UNinSouthAfrica as well as use the hashtag #BreakTheBias.
The blow content may be used for inspiration:
- Be part of the Movement..
- Individually, we're all responsible for our own thoughts and actions - all day, every day.
- We can break the bias in our communities.
- We can break the bias in our workplaces.
- We can break the bias in our schools, colleges and universities.
- Together, we can all break the bias - on International Women's Day (IWD) and beyond.
- Tell us what you think in a very creative and captivating way
- Imagine a gender equal world.
- A world free of bias, stereotypes, and discrimination.
- A world that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive.
- A world where difference is valued and celebrated.
- Together we can forge women's equality.
- Collectively we can all #BreakTheBias.
4. Photo and video criteria
- Must be taken in 2022.
- Not featured in previous publications, promotional materials, or on any websites.
- Should not be smaller than 1600 x 1200 pixels, be JPEG or MP4 format.
- Should include a caption/story
- Captions must be either in English or an official South African language
- Are accepted in either color, or black and white.
- Any manipulation of your content will disqualify the entry.
5. Selection and prizes
There are two categories:
The prizes will be awarded as follows:
The selection of winners will be made by a selection committee determined by the organizer. Decisions of the selection committee are final and without appeal.
There are three (3) winners in each of the two (2) categories of the competition (six (6) winners in total) shall be determined by the selection committee.
- 1st prize US$ 1,000 - photography
- 1st prize US$ 1,000 - video
- 2nd prize US$ 500 - photography
- 2nd prize US$ 500 - video
- 3rd prize US$ 300 - photography
- 3rd prize US$ 300 - video
The cash prizes will be handed over during the award ceremony at the end of August 2022.
The Organizer will notify the winners via DM prior to the announcement.
6. Other conditions
- By entering the competition, participants agree to release and hold harmless the organizer from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to negligence and damages of any kind to persons and property, infringement of trademark, copyright or other intellectual property rights arising out of or relating to their participation in the Competition and the contents of their submissions.
- The organizer reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any submission which does not comply with the present Terms and Conditions.
- The Organizer is not responsible for lost, late, corrupted, mutilated or misdirected submissions, or submissions not received in time for judging (deadline of submission is 23:59 Midnight (SAST) on 15 August 2022).
- Participants in the competition are not allowed to use the titles, acronyms and logos of the Organizer or other branding (e.g. logos, slogan) elements on the photos and videos.
- The organizer shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to abbreviate, modify, suspend, cancel or terminate the Competition without any future obligation, by notifying the applicants via an announcement at the Competition’s website.
- The organizer reserves the right to make all final decisions. Nothing herein shall be considered to be a limitation or a waiver of the privileges and immunities of the UN in South Africa which are specifically reserved.
- Should entrants not respond to DMs and contact attempts in 5 days your entry will be null and void.